The passive voice is used more frequently in journals.
1. Follow these examples when using the passive voice:
The patients were tested for asthma.
Tissue samples were taken from each patient.
2. Avoid the following type of passive voice constructions, whenever possible:
It was shown in the report that patients responded negatively to treatment.
The report indicated that patients responded negatively to the treatment.
It was observed in the clinical trial that 10 percent of males tested positive.
As observed in the clinical trial, 10 percent of males tested positive.
It was reported in the study that most patients would recover in six months.
The study reported that most patients would recover in six months.
Dragoman Style Guide for Magazines and Journals
- Tricks to effectively learn foreign language May 3, 2021
- Future of interpreting – A review after 12-months lockdown April 9, 2021
- Simultaneous interpreting on Cisco Webex Legislate March 10, 2021
- Translating disabilities October 6, 2020
- How to become a citizen in Montenegro September 6, 2020